The most common type of propulsion package that MarineDiesel sells is with stern drives as the propulsion type.
- Stern drives are highly versatile. They can be used in just about any mission or application.
- Stern drives are generally inexpensive.
- Stern drives can provide a very high top speed.
- Stern drives are generally easy to maintain or replace.
- Stern drives are manueverable at slower speeds.
- Gearboxes are usually integrated into the drive unit.
MarineDiesel packages two brands of stern drive with its’ engines, in different situations:
On recreational vessels, we can provide Mercury Bravo drives. Mercury Bravo drives give good performance while being inexpensive. However, they are typically not designed for commercial or heavy use. This is why we typically only recommend them on vessels that will operate under 200 hours per year. Bravo drives are limited to 400 hp applications (sometimes, depending on the vessel, 450 hp will work).
On commercial or military vessels, we provide Konrad stern drives. Konrad stern drives are engineered to take the punishment and abuse that commercial or military users require. With a MTBO of 2,500 hours, Konrad drives give top performance and reliability. Our entire engine range will work with Konrad drives.
When are other propulsion types more appropriate?
- On vessels requiring more than 500 hp.
- Low draft situations.
- Vessels over 14t displacement.
As with the other propulsion types, proper calculations are a must and require proper vessel information.